People with diabetes have too much sugar in their blood or not enough insulin to change that sugar into energy. There are 23.6 million people in the United States who have diabetes. More than five million people don’t even know they have diabetes.
There is no cure for diabetes. But it can be treated and controlled so you can live a healthy life. Here are some warning signs for diabetes:
- Feeling hungry and/or thirsty all the time
- Having to pass your water
- Blurred vision
- Feeling tired
- Unexplained weight loss/gain
- Cuts that heal slowly
- Hands/feet feel tingly
What causes diabetes?
The cause of diabetes is still unknown but there are some risk factors that can increase your chance of getting it. Some risk factors are:
- Having a family member with diabetes
- Being overweight
- High blood pressure is not a risk factor for diabetes, but it is a risk factor for heart attacks and strokes as is diabetes
- Emotional stress
Other Risk Factors
Some forms of diabetes are more common in African-Americans, Latinos, Native Americans, Asian Americans, Native Hawaiians and other Pacific Islanders, as well as older people…
For the entire story pick up volume 4, issue 20 of the Chester Spirit.